A quick and easy mushroom soup that is super light.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 10 ounces cremini or white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 medium carrots, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 slices pumpernickel bread
- 1/3 cup sour cream or creme fraeche
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the caraway seeds and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they begin to wilt, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Add the carrots and broth, cover and bring to a simmer. Uncover and cook until the carrots are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, combine the onion, vinegar and a pinch of salt in a bowl and let marinate while the soup simmers. Toast the bread.
- Divide the soup among bowls and top with sour cream and the marinated onion. Serve with the toast.