Southwest Overnight Breakfast Casserole
This dish is fluffy and light enough to ensure you won't feel guilty about your breakfast adn spicy enough to give you a kick in the rear to wake you up.
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, diced (any color)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilis
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup skim milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 10 slices light whole grain sandwich bread
- ¼ pound lower sodium sliced ham, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cup Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican
- Grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil, bell pepper, and onion. Cook until they begin to soften, 4-6 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the diced green chilies, garlic powder, chili powder, and red pepper flakes, cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, or in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Slice the bread into 1 to 2-inch cubes and place on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Spread the ham, cooked vegetables, and tomatoes over the bread. Pour the egg mixture over the casserole and tightly cover the casserole dish with foil. Store in the refrigerator for several hours, to overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350° F. Top the casserole with the Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican and bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes, or until the eggs are set.